The OENSL – Ornithology, Ethno-Ornithology and Natural Sounds Laboratory.
(An Ela Foundation and MES, research facility)
- The vision of the OENSL is to promote education and research in Ornithology, Ethno-ornithology and Natural Sounds to further Nature Conservation.
- The objectives of the OENSL are as follows:
- Conduct Avian Research in modern perspective:
- Fundamental Ornithological Research
- Nilkanth Joshi Lab for Ethno-ornithological Research
- Research in Bio-acoustics
- Man-Bird Impact Research
- Rural Biodiversity Conservation Outreach Initiatives
- Impart Excellent Ornithological and Ecological Education to students
- Conduct Ornithological and Ecological Surveys
- Promote public contact for conservation sensitization through publications
- Make Collaborations with national & international organizations
- Advise industry for ecological studies (power, aviation, health, construction, etc.)
- Research and publish original material for conservation-education and awareness
- Design various nature conservation tools and equipment for public use
‘Vinay Vihar’ Boys’ Hostel, Abasaheb Garware College, Karve Road, Pune
FACULTY AND DEPARTMENTS :
Faculty and Administration:
- Dr. Satish Pande, Director OENSL
- Dr. Suruchi Pande, Head, Nilkanth Joshi Lab of Ethno-ornithology, OENSL
- Vivek Vishwasrao, Biodiversity and Planning
- Pramod Deshpande, Publications and Software
- Dr. Arundhati Vishwasrao, Library and Conservation Education
- Rajkumar Pawar, Rural Outreach
- Rahul Lonkar, Rural Outreach
- Pradeep Marathe, Administration & Liaison
- Chandrashekhar Joshi, Printing
- Kaustubh Mudgal, Printing
- Prashant Deshpande, Maintenance
- Raghavendra Manavi, Communication
DEPARTMENTS AND FACILITIES :
Fundamental Avian Research:
- Ornithology Lab (Dry and Wet Labs)
- Nilkanth Joshi Ethno-ornithology Lab
- Natural Sounds (Bio-acoustics) Lab
- BBIRD Lab (Bird-Building Impact Research & Development)
Education & Academics:
- Conference / Seminar Hall
- Students Teaching Room
- Library and Reading Room
Surveys & Assessments:
- Field Projects Facility
- Room for data and other storage
- Publications Research & Development Center
- Storage facility for books, publications, equipment, etc.
Conservation of Rural Bio-Diversity:
Ornithology, Ethno-ornithology and Natural Sounds Labs
Administration and Staff:
- Ornithology Lab
- Sound Lab
- Ethno-ornithology lab
- Seminar Hall
- Administrative Office
- Toilet block
PROJECTS AND COURSES :
- Ecological studies for corporate industry on wind energy, thermal energy, aviation, animal diseases, limnology, etc.
- Publication of Ela Files: Natural History Photographic documents on Indian birds through original research and field work.
- Publication of original books on ornithology, ethno-ornithology, natural sounds, ecology, flora and conservation education.
- Research related to ornithology, herpetology, amphibians, mammals and flora.
- Certificate Course in Basic Ornithology (now in the 11th year).
- Certificate Course in Ecological Perspective in Indian Culture and Philosophy.
- Certificate Course in Rural Biodiversity Conservation (only for rural regions).